With the mind a-racin’, a few random thoughts:
- Adieu and farewell to the Sampo blog. Â When things run their course and all of that… Â I trust its narrator will still pop by here for comments from time to time. Â I’ve contemplated similar… Â not abandonment, more like retirement, from time to time as well. Â But I’m still getting the mileage out of this venue that I want. Â I suppose it’s about your goals. Â Of course, it was for that same reason that I ditched the MySpace profile. Â *shudder*
- A run of hardware issues, lately. Â There was the near-miss with BenNevis back in May1 and now Malkovich is out for a power supply replacement. Â Hendricks (A.’s machine) just had a logic board repair that was somehow tied to the battery’s flakiness. Â All seemingly routine, non-catastrophic ailments2 but it’s irritating when they’re clustered like this. Â One on top of the other on top of the other…
- Run of weird dreams lately, too. Â I’ve caught a couple of them before they escaped but there’ve been plenty more that were twice as bizarre but thrice as fleeting. Â Just plain ol’ “eep”.
- Every time I change H.’s diaper, I can’t help but feel like I’m basting or marinading him.
- Declared RSS bankruptcy today. Â Well over 6,000 unread items. Â I feel like I do this on a regular basis: select a group of infrequently read subscriptions and “Mark All As Read”. Â Just to get them off my plate. Â To clear my conscience. Â I tell myself: I care about the news, really. Â Those borked elections in Zimbabwe? Â I care, I do. Â But how can I keep up? Â And so it goes. Â Now on a given day, I can manage some semblance of keeping up. Â Five minutes here, ten there, a thirty second glance at new headlines… Â Just to see what’s worth reading, or at least flagging to read later3. Â But the RSS feeds went by the wayside over the past two weeks. Â Select AllÂ âžŸÂ NewsÂ âžŸÂ MarkÂ âžŸÂ As Read… Â This will make me feel unburdened for a day. Â Two at the most.
- While we’re on the subject of RSS feeds… Â DEAR LAZY WEB: my feed reader should look at my click-through patterns and rank my feeds for me. Â The software should know (on my behalf) which sources get the most action — how often am I reading the articles? versus just letting them expire and disappear? versus clicking through to the actual site? Â I dunno, maybe this doesn’t really tell us anything interesting4.
- Our garden is blowing up. Â It’s great. Â The weather has really allowed the plants to take off. Â We’ve got peas coming in, cucumbers — everything we planted this year is going ape-shit. Â Too bad the weeds are doing likewise. Â With H., we’re not managing to get up there nearly as often as we were last summer. Â But we also planned better this year w/r/t/ mulching and some of the other pest management. Â Not that this puts us ahead. Â Just doesn’t put us behind.
Anyway, enough rambling. Â Let’s try to get some sleep?
- A hard drive crash that fixes itself? [↩]
- Especially considering the clock-cycles these machines do on a daily basis. [↩]
- Thank you, NetNewsWire. [↩]
- Perhaps I just haven’t finished thinking this through? [↩]