I picked up some new headphones recently, a pair of Skullcandy INK’D earbuds after reading some great reviews and getting some great feedback from some folks I know. My review: ★★★☆☆
…moderately satisfied. The seem like a “good enough” value (speaking to the quality-to-price ratio, here).
- The most comfortable in-ear headphones I’ve ever tried (and have owned more than a few over the years).
- Nice seal in the ear blocks out a surprising amount of ambient noise (even at low volumes).
- Vibrations (e.g., the cable against your zipper) tend to amplify and compete with the music in your ear.
- I’m not sold on the sound, which seems tinny and weak to me; I heard a lot of folks rave about these ear buds but the bass seems average at best.
- I prefer an L-shaped connector and was disappointed that this one was straight.
- The cable has a good texture and seems not to tangle.
- Very comfortable if you expect to wear them for extended period but you can probably do a lot better in the sound department for not much more money.
UPDATE: The sound quality might be a little better than I originally gave it credit for — but it seems like you need to jam the earbud pretty deep and snug into your ear to get any satisfaction below ≈200 Hz.
UPDATE 2: A little over a year later, one of the buds has crapped out. You get what you pay for? I would have liked to have gotten another year out of these, at least.