Phew… a few days into Q3 before I realized that I hadn’t taken a moment to reflect. A reflection on the pace of things, perhaps?
- Exercise: ≥4 days each week. Considering we had a new baby in April, and then… well: that other surprise in May, it’s actually kind of amazing that I managed to get in any exercise at all. Still, I managed some:
Not actually too bad of an April and May. And by June I’m more/less back in it. Breaking it down to just the running and walking:
I’m actually keeping up with my desired total mileage each month. As for climbing:
I resigned my monthly membership and moved to a punch card. I was sad to do it, but I just couldn’t justify it any longer.
- Reading: ≥36 books. Kicking ass this year? Goodreads is telling me that I’ve already read 29 books this year (this being out of my goal of 36). We’ll skip the graph this quarter. The table tells the tale.
…and those are the books that Goodreads is telling me I have finished in 2012 so far. Also: five more irons in the fire, as it were. And months to go before the year is out.
Reading: 10 new authors.Most of the books have been new, and many of the authors have been, as well. At least half, by my count.
- Writing: ≥5 hours each week; 1000+ words per session. Remember when I mentioned the new baby? and “the other thing”? back when I was talking about my total exercise? It’s basically the same story here:
This suffered from those incidents. March and April were both strong though, and July is already a better month than both May and June. So there’s a chance for recovery.
Writing: Finish a draft of my novel-in-progress.This is completed. March 13th was when I “finished” that first draft. Been working on a re-read and revisions. Slowly but surely.
- Code: Write something (anything!) in Clojure. Remember that little Groovy program to generate the 2011 reading timeline? I thought maybe I’d write a version in Clojure.
- Yes, it’s a kid’s book. So what? I read it for The Boy enough times. [↩]
- Which, seriously, I know I don’t have my own review posted anywhere but… 5-stars. Really: go out and read it right now. [↩]
- But I’d been working on this one since… July 2011? A good long while. [↩]
- Though admittedly: that was a co-read with A., for H.; and A. did most of the reading. [↩]
- Ibid. [↩] [↩]
- …or 7/1, depending on how you figure the fuzzy end on this one, for me. [↩]
About Rob FrieselSoftware engineer by day, science fiction writer by night. Author of The PhantomJS Cookbook and a short story in Please Do Not Remove. View all posts by Rob Friesel →
One Response to 2012 Goals: Q2 check-in
Pingback: 2012 Goals: Q3 check-in | found drama