As of yesterday, I am now on-board a [tag]MacBook Pro[/tag]. It’s my new work machine. BenNevis being both a scotch and the tallest peak in Scotland, the hostname naming convention fits with both home and office. So far, so good. First impressions in the first 24+ hours:
- Fast. Yes. It’s fast. Things are snappy and responsive. Must be the 2.0 GHz Core Duo. And the 2 GB of memory help, I’m sure. That said, it cooks and rivals (if not surpasses) Malkovich (running a 2.0 GHz G5).
- Rosetta. While most of the apps I run “all day” are [tag]Universal Binary[/tag] already, there are a few essentials that are still PowerPC-based. I.e., Microsoft anything. Word and Excel both run transparently and without a hiccup. It’s nice that there’s no emulation “ghetto” that needs to launch first (see also: “[tag]Classic[/tag]”) – – the application just opens as if it were running on KetelOne or Malkovich (etc.) That said, it does seem like apps running in Rosetta are more crash-prone. I had to force quit Word a couple of times today – – but then again, it never really has fully behaved for some types of “Track Changes” behaviors.Â (Meanwhile, Excel was faster than I’ve ever seen it.)
- Watch out for drivers.Â If you use 3rd party hardware, watch out for the drivers.Â They may not be Universal Binary (or the equivalent).Â I prefer to use a Logitch keyboard and trackball and to fully take advantage of their features, I need to run the Logitech “Control Center”.Â However, after installing the Preference Pane, [tag]OS X[/tag] decided that they couldn’t place nicely together.Â So much for my proper key mappings.Â So much for my scrollwheel as a double-click…
- Fan noise?Â I keep reading about excessive fan noise and “whining” from the machine.Â I haven’t noticed anything.Â Nothing out of the ordinary at least.Â It’s not silent.Â But it’s not load.Â However, it does get friggin’ hot.Â I’ll pay that price for fast though.
- Huge power brick.Â I’d read that it was bigger.Â Then I held it in my hands and dubbed it “Scotty” – – I canna give you any more, Cap’n! I’ve given yea all that she’s got!
Meanwhile, in the real world…Â I keep plugging away at getting everything set up the way I need it.Â No matter how prepared you think you are, it always takes an extra couple days.