- Reading: 48+ books in 2013. I’m up to about 20 so far. Which tells me that I’m not racing ahead of pace, but I’m not lagging too far behind either. I figure I’ll still finish around 48 — but probably just barely.
Plus a bunch that are in-flight: Statistics in the Behavioral Sciences, The Neverending Story3, and Understanding Computation. An interesting dilemma this year… I got a Kindle as a gift a few months ago and I’ve been reading a lot more short stories on it. So… I’ve probably read a novel-or-two’s worth of short stories, but I can’t think of how to easily track them here. So… so…
- Reading: these 12 specific books. This always seems like a much better goal when I set it. And inevitably I always looks at this “short list” and think But now I don’t want to read this…
- The Rings of Saturn
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- The Third Man
Ethan Frome Revelation Space
- Cat’s Cradle
A Wizard of Earthsea
- Midnight’s Children
- The French Lieutenant’s Woman
- The Pragmatic Programmer
- The Blind Assassin
- The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman
- Exercise: Average 25 miles or more per month. Hmm… I’m exercising pretty consistently and/but…
Twenty-five-plus miles per month is proving to be a bit more of a stretch goal than I thought.
- “Re-learn” statistics. I earned by “with Distinction” badge from that Coursera course; and I’m making some slow and sporadic progress through my stats reading… But am I bored with this? Frustrated? It’s like I don’t have the time nor the mental energy to take the deep-dive into this that I really want. There’s a latent desire there, but when I get home in the evening, I just can bring myself to read about z-scores and t-tests.
Learn some R.I would say I learned enough. “For now.”
- Learn some Python. As we march into July, I ask myself: “Why did you want to learn Python?” There must have been some reason. There it was:
Apparently, if I’m studying data analysis, I also need to learn some “applied Python”.
Hmm… Well, I’ve worked through a bunch of the Python Tracks at Code Academy but it’s also been months since I’ve been back to finish any more. Meanwhile I finished the Ruby Koans and a little more than halfway through the Clojure Koans. Perhaps I should change up this particular goal?
“Ship” one trivial “novelty” app.Boom. Project Management Dev Dice. Done.
What other achievements have I unlocked this year? I got my name on the back of someone’s book. I got solicited to help edit another book (this time by complete strangers).7 I co-authored a 4-hour Grails training course that’s being used at work to train new hires. My oldest has graduated from pre-school and is about to enter kindergarten. Uh… half of my Stack Overflow answers are the accepted answers?
So it’s shaping up to be a pretty decent year for goals.
- First Quarter results are here: /2013/03/2013-goals-q1-check-in [↩]
- What? Don’t look at me like that. [↩]
- With Holden. [↩] [↩] [↩]
- See also: Dating Without Kundera. [↩]
- ”Done enough.” [↩] [↩]
- Pre-release. As a reviewer. [↩]
- Although, as a bummer of a side note, that one fell through because my “hells yes I’ll help with that” reply got flagged as spam in the editor’s inbox. Oh well. Next time. [↩]