…or, how I added storage to my iMac and successfully put off getting another computer for at least another year?
Malkovich1is running low on storage. Â Today’s free space count is something like 26.09 GB. Â Still reasonably respectable but considering total drive capacity started at 250 GB, we’re certainly feeling cramped. Â Personally, I blame all the photos we keep dumping into Aperture. Â Let the data speak for itself:
At this rate we’re likely to run out of space by say… Â Xmas? Â Or thereabouts.
Now, advise me (gentle readers) what do you think is the best way to expand storage without going all out and replacing the machine all together? Â Current proposals:
- Pick up a NewerTech Voyager Q “docking station”2 and start loading up on internal SATA drives.
- Replace Malkovich’s internal 250 GB hard drive with a 1 TB drive and then restore from the most recent Time Machine back-up.
- Daisy chain another Firewire external hard drive or three off the current Time Machine drive.
Of course… Â I’m open to suggestions. Â What say you?
UPDATE: See also: Â the thread on Facebook.
- Loyal readers will remember Malkovich from this post speculating on the poor iMac’s eventual demise. [↩]
- I prefer the Voyager Q to the Thermaltake BlacX mainly on the basis of Firewire support. [↩]